CO.LAB.PRESS is a collaborative learning laboratory that will function as a newsroom during PhotoKTM5, with the aim of producing regular dispatches from the festival. The intensive 10-day lab will explore the creative process that is found in soulful storytelling, inspiring further conversations through hands-on exercises and nurturing the creative mindset translating ideas into printed matter.
CO.LAB.PRESS invites a cohort of 16 participants who have and wish to further develop skills required to produce publications of different contents and formats. They could be photographers, designers, illustrators, writers, multimedia producers, poets, journalists or editors. Participants will work together to report and reinterpret the festival themes in a stimulating and fast paced environment, to spark imagination and to reinvent content, developing a coherent design language under the supervision of Valentina Abenavoli.
Venue: Photo.circle HQ, Arun Thapa Chowk, Jhamsikhel, Lalitpur
- Participation is open to all nationalities.
- CO.LAB.PRESS is best suited for photographers, designers, illustrators, writers, multimedia producers, poets, journalists, editors.
- The program will hold lecture/s on creativity, narrative and printed matter
- Discussions on PhotoKTM 5 themes
- The participants will be involved on hands-on content development exercises/ assignments, design exercises/assignments, and production experience (printing, binding)
- Participants should be able to participate in person.
- CO.LAB.PRESS will enroll 16 participants.
- Language for conversations and reading/listening/watching material will be in English.
- Participants are expected to work as a newsroom team that produces 6 printed outcomes across the period of 10 days.
- Depending on the nature of the content and the amount of material produced, one or another outcome will be chosen accordingly.
- The newsroom will be open everyday and participants can go in and out on the production days.
- The aim of the CO.LAB.PRESS is to ensure a collaborative learning laboratory while allowing further conversations around the thematic framework proposed by PhotoKTM5.
- Participation fee is NPR 2500. Please let us know if you would require a fee waiver.
Regarding workshop schedule:
- CO.LAB.PRESS will be a full-time engagement for 10 days. Participants should be willing to commit full days and long hours!
- The first 2 days (20, 21 Feb) the class will run from 10 am to 6 pm.
- In the remaining days the participants will meet every morning (9-11 AM) and then the rest of the day will be fieldwork. The group will regroup again in the evening (the time can be scheduled according to the day program).
- During the production days the schedule might vary depending on the group tasks.
How to Apply?
To apply for this program, please submit the following in this google form: https://forms.gle/PNG7DGwQCTQM48qv7
In the form you will be asked to submit the following:
- An updated CV (2 pages max)
- Your short bio (150 words max)
- A pdf of your portfolio that includes some of your previous work that best demonstrates your creative practice as a photographer, designer, poet, writer, illustrator, multimedia producer, journalist, editor, etc.
- Additional/supporting material that tells us more about your practice, your interests, and how you like to build audience engagement (for example exhibition stills, or tearsheets of publications or dummies, etc.
Friday, 10 Feb 2023
By participating in the CO.LAB.PRESS, you agree to adhere to the festival’s code of conduct.
PhotoKTM5 Learning Programs has been generously supported by PhotoSouthAsia, an initiative of the MurthyNAYAK Foundation.